Monday, February 14, 2011

Transfer

Sorry for the belated post, though I'm glad I can comment on the trends Karen noticed. I'm shocked that so many people felt transfer was something that didn't have to do with libraries! I guess I'm one of those people that, in a time when libraries seem to be scrambling to figure out exactly what they bring to the table these days, I tend to say "libraries can do that!!" to just about anything. Maybe TOO much. Assuming schools aren't going to massively change the way they do things to promote transfer in the super short-term, libraries are a great place to offer affordances to knowledge transfer, even if they aren't doing the initial teaching. And libraries CAN and SHOULD know what schools are teaching, even if they're not literally in the same building, which is the case with most public libraries. Aren't we places of "lifelong learning"? And shouldn't knowing about how learning works be key to all of us? Sheesh.

One dichotomy used in the chapter was on "learning" versus "performance" focused learners, and I thought this was a good way of thinking about two different kinds of student. As much as I am consciously a "learning" based learner, I think subconsciously I am performance based, because I do end up being stressed when I make mistakes during learning processes. I think it all links back to formative versus summative assessment too...growing up in a summative dominated educational system, we all come to see education as a sort of vetting process, and look at what we learn in terms of whether we can perform to some standard.

I also think the section on motivation and learning provides a huge opportunity for libraries to offer and facilitate transfer. One thing the chapter pointed out was that students are more likely to be motivated when they see their knowledge can be used to do something immidiately useful, and another was that students are motivated when they are learning something to help others, or do something that is socially significant. Libraries (should) do a great job of planning and executing programs that do these things, creating activities where people put what they've learned into some tangible product or project, and bringing people together to discuss and work on issues facing the community. As long as they are in the know about what's being taught, and how it can be used or what the community could stand to gain from it, they can put themselves in a position to offer motivating learning environments.

5 comments:

  1. What an awesome perspective. Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked your point that libraries should be aware of what their patrons are learning, even if the learning itself isn't taking place at the library. Libraries should be environments that not only promote their own learning objectives (through workshops, reference interactions, etc.), but they should also be supplementing the learning that occurs elsewhere. I think this is particular true because librarians may be able to offer more individualized assistance to students. In this way, students can "transfer" what they learn in the library to the classroom and vice versa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your suggestion in the last paragraph about libraries needing to be focused on what it is they could do to further make transfer part of the learning process for patrons. A bunch of different examples pop into my mind, but think about the eBay class in a public library, or think about the Zotero class in an academic library, where people can learn how to do something that will be useful to them in truly an immediate way. Lots of students have trouble organizing all their citations, so just imagine what it's like when they learn about Zotero! From the library...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your comment about being a performance-based learner (and other posts) highlight to me the importance of not depending on schools to do everything for us. We've learned a lot about how libraries help in education, but I think it goes beyond that even. Families, churches, community organizations, libraries--these are all sources that help us learn, and they don't have to wait for invitations or guidelines from schools. It doesn't have to be formal, but we can all do our part.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am one of those "libraries can do anything" people and am glad for it. I was also appalled that people didn't think librarians involved transfer. Your idea of having libraries connect with what schools do is such a great example of transfer and what I think that both academic and public libraries NEED to do. There are so many resources across these institutions and I am a huge proponent of connecting these resources for the good of the community. Thanks for your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete