Sunday, April 3, 2011

Paul Courant, Twitter

I very much enjoyed last week's talk with Paul Courant, who was surprisingly affable and seemingly very forthright considering the tricky nature of some of the topics we were discussing. It's always nice to be reminded that we're really at the center of a lot of major library action here, where organizations like Google are getting sued and such via projects the University is a major participant in. His reaction to Joanna's incisive question was especially interesting though I wasn't surprised to hear his view that issues libraries like Michigan are facing are basically due to problems with forces outside of academia rather than within academia itself. I do imagine corporations like Sony and so forth do have bigger fish to fry than folks in academia and/or library land. However I do think it's important that an academic library be very cognizant of academic culture and interests affecting thought processes behind certain systems and actions, rather than just painting themselves as bystanders in a world shaped by powers far bigger than themselves.

I'm glad this week's assignment regarding signing on to twitter as I am reluctant to participate more than absolutely necessary is "social media" and this obviously needs to change. To use an SI 500 obsession I guess one reason is just the problem of information overload--I don't use things like google reader or twitter often because I feel I am already bombarded with more than enough information, and I like to think if something is important enough, I will take the time and energy to find it myself. But it not using things like twitter I miss out on a lot of opportunities, and for better or worse I really just need to be tuned into all the major ways people find and share information.

For my tweets, I retweeted blog posts of a librarian I happen to be following who basically does focus on social media like facebook and twitter. Aaron Tay, at musingsaboutlibrarianship.blogspot.com. Of his posts, I found the one listing the most influential libraries on twitter to be very interesting because it was dominated by large public rather than academic libraries. One might imagine academic rather than public libraries should be the most present on twitter or facebook (another post I tweeted had to do with the fact the NY Public was the biggest library on facebook) because of the clientele: college kids should theoretically be the most active on twitter, right? I wonder if it's due to the fact that public libraries often have to scramble the hardest for funding, and so are more active and have been quicker to get onto the web 2.0 social scene? I don't seem to be personally acquainted enough with academic libraries and their digital incarnations to have a very strong opinion on the matter and would appreciate those of others. Aaron has hypotheses, including that public libraries have a larger audience and so are followed more (I don't think this accounts for the discrepancy. There are plenty of academic libraries with huge user bases) or that public libraries are more aggressive in following users. This is really interesting because when thinking about things like Twitter, I always initially think of it as a way for libraries to market themselves and get users' attentions, rather than a way to follow them and get information on them, which is also very important. If nothing else, I'm going to use twitter from that perspective, as I have harped on how public libraries especially need to be extremely and innovatively in touch with the communities they serve.

6 comments:

  1. I agree with you that the sheer volume of stuff you get bombarded with by using twitter or google reader is overwhelming. I just discovered for this project that people like @libjobs tweet job openings, though. It might be worth it in order to get in on the good opportunities--at least at this point in our careers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a really interesting perspective. I wouldn't have thought of following the users of the library, but that is really a could perspective. I am interested in Twitter professionally, but not much personally, and this is a great new idea for how to use Twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked your reflection of Paul Courant's visit and how we need to be cognizant that what is happening at UM is being watched and learned from. I feel so lucky that we have a Dean of Libraries that is so forward thinking AND takes time to come to SI classes, and actually addresses student's questions and concerns.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What you've said about Twitter in academic vs. public libraries is interesting...The budget issue seems relevant, but it also seems like public libraries have more public programming that they want to promote. I guess this ties into the funding aspect in some ways: public libraries need to make it known what new books they have, what events they're sponsoring, how they're connecting to the community, etc., to demonstrate their relevance. It doesn't seem like academic libraries face this issue to the same degree. In some ways, it also seems like the size of academic libraries might be working against them in the Twitter world as it would be difficult to keep up with everything that is going on in the different areas of the library.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Amanda's comment about public vs. academic libraries. I also think that the way the users of each library view it are different. Students at colleges view their university libraries as having a different purpose than their hometown public libraries (or at least I did) and I don't think the university libraries need to worry as much as public libraries about getting patrons to come in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. information overload indeed! i feel exactly the same way. i also retweeted blog posts i was following. i don't know if i will ever get to the point of becoming web 2.0 queen. it seems like that is the way the profession is going, and there is something so sad about that to me. there are a lot of cons to weigh with the pros of technology.

    ReplyDelete