Monday, March 7, 2011

Harper Collins' Open Letter

In my most recent sweep through the cohort I didn't see any posts specifically on the whole Harper Collins limiting digital downloads thing, which has been on some of the professional librarian's blogs including Librarian in Black. Here is Harper Collins' response if you haven't read it: http://harperlibrary.typepad.com/my_weblog/2011/03/open-letter-to-librarians.html

My initial reaction is that it's interesting how a lot of the comments to the letter seem to focus on the idea that libraries help publishers sell books, so squeezing out libraries will hurt the publisher. Is that some sort of threat? With sellers like Borders going out of business left and right, it's true that libraries may more and more become a unique showplace for media. But I really, really don't think this is something to hang our hat on. I'm sorry but the camaraderie suggested by the HC letter between publishers and libraries, and comments from librarians like "if publishers kill us they're killing themselves!" are both rather dubious to me. The former is a lie, the latter is fatalistic and not constructive.

Also, all the discussion on how silly it is for HC to determine their checkout limit as it might reflect physical materials wearing out is valid but frankly neither here nor there. Digital materials do not wear out. Let's not dignify the publisher's rationalizations, or let that shift the focus of the argument by conceding that one arbitrary limit on downloads makes more sense than another.

5 comments:

  1. Hi, Brett -- Your cohort may not be talking about it here, but I have had at least three conversations with your classmates about it. We're going to make room next week to talk about this issue. It brings up so many issues of our professional values -- how could we miss it?

    There are a lot of wild responses to this issue from many sides.

    But here's what I'd like to see. I've read opinions from publishers, marketers, vendors, librarians, library cooperatives, authors, even a comics artist or two.

    Have you seen anything from the PATRON'S perspective? I'm not joking -- I haven't, and I think we need to seriously consider this point of view.

    See you in class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting point Kristin...I haven't seen anything from the patron's perspective. Do they even know it's happening?? It'd not splashed across the news like so many other things right now (Charlie Sheen, anyone?). I brought it up to some of my non-libraryland friends, and they had absolutely no idea that it was happening. This is a concern. Brett, I agree...I talk in my post about circulation, but you're right. It's not the number 27, it's any number. An e-book is not supposed to wear out, no matter how many people have read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From a patron perspective, if I weren't in library school, I probably wouldn't have a clue, either, because I am a traditionalist and generally check out hard copies. Although, with the busyness of school, I have done a lot more audiobook, which I listen to while traveling from point a to point b or getting ready, etc. I've also found that there is more available to me in terms of hard copies, and so I never hold my breath for finding something I can download--there is just a smaller selection because it's still pretty new. But fast forward 10 or 15 years, and it may be different (although I personally will ALWAYS go for the actual book whenever I can).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your post, Brett, and think that your discussion of the issue that digital materials simply don't wear out is most valid. Obviously, HarperCollins doesn't care what number it is, though I'd like to see their rationale. They seem to feel extremely justified in their decision but the issue doesn't feel totally "covered" (relating to Kristin's response about the thoughts from patrons on this)... should make for an interesting class discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also agree with Kristin's point and feel we're preaching to the choir or to folks who are well aware of our feelings (like HC) with most discussion and lit. on the topic. I'm sure HC has received enough comments and letters to know where libraries stand. Libraries need to make sure the public (and legislators) know what happen. Then, maybe they'll have a stronger opinion. And there's is the opinion that ultimately makes the difference.

    ReplyDelete