Monday, March 7, 2011

On Book Clubs, Vicki's Advice

Hope everyone had a lovely break! As we discussed the readings for last class pretty thoroughly and my thoughts on them didn't stray too far from what I posted earlier, I have thoughts on Book Clubs, mostly as Vicki from the AADL advised on them.

I think the main thing I gleaned was good ideas regarding logistics. For example, its a great idea to provide readalikes for participants in a discussion--it ensures that they get some new knowledge by participating even if the discussion isn't terribly enlightening, and prompts ongoing thought on a topic (maybe even transfer?)

I also personally like the use of note cards with a question on it for the participant, and found this worked very well in a group of about 15 adults in a book club I helped out with. We made sure to note that the questions on the cards were very much optional and that original questions were more than welcome. We happened to have a thoughtful, respectful group to begin with so its likely that everyone would have gotten a chance to speak that wanted to and discussion would stay on track regardless, but I really don't think it hurts to have open-ended, thoughtful questions for participants to fall back on. It also gives them a chance to formulate ideas before speaking--I know I'm the sort of person that will eventually have something good to say about a text, but am not exactly the sort to think on my feet and be eloquent.

I'm a little bit skeptical about the playlist idea especially as Vicki didn't seem to have much experience with it. I've found when sharing or talking about music with strangers it can be very difficult to communicate because music is a hard thing to describe if all parties aren't already extremely familiar with it.

The concept of partnering with schools or organizations that work with your audience in the community (like 826michigan) is of course a wonderful idea and an example of community networking and marketing that I've been harping about on and off throughout the semester. Knowing what people are reading or concerned about in school or in community groups gives the library a chance to host forums and discussions that are timely and relevant. Find out what the schools' summer reading lists are and think about gearing book discussions towards them! Etc.!

And I think Joanna's question regarding whether or not a discussion on a book like Twilight is great at getting at the fine line a librarian walks between giving people what they already know and want, and turning them onto new things, expanding horizons in meaningful ways. I agree that a discussion on Twilight or Harry Potter might not be ideal, but it might not hurt to have one in a series that goes on to follow other works in a similar theme (like the book club themes we were reading about). Or maybe a work is posed in to compare or contrast with a well known book, like Stoker's Dracula vs the Meyer novels.

Well everyone's readings for the discussion in my group (Hearts) was very interesting and I'm looking forward to the discussions!

2 comments:

  1. A really pleasurable post to read. I loved the note cards idea, too, and was delighted to see it in action tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the wall you kind of have to break through is the "this feels kind of artificial," which is why you see all this stuff about food and music with book clubs. The dilemma is what separates a book club from English class, and how you make a book club seem more like a community then like a discussion section of a lecture.

    ReplyDelete